One of the most popular photo-sharing app Instagram on Tuesday (August 2, 2016) introduced Instagram Stories which lets people share photos and videos that disappear after no more than 24 hours. This feature is similar to Snapchat Stories, some might says it is a carbon copy to Snapchat Stories. Read on to see how it works and How To Use Instagram Stories. Instagram’s introduction of stories could fundamentally change the nature of an app that has 500 million monthly active users, 300 million daily actives, and now 250 million users on its Direct messaging feature.
Instagram Stories is rolling out globally for iOS and Android over the next few weeks. Stories places a new row of circular avatars at the top of your Instagram feed. Each bubble represents an account that you follow on Instagram, and contains every photo and video clip (up to 10 seconds) that they’ve posted to their stories feed within the past day.
With Instagram Stories, you will be able to share multiple photos and videos, that they appear together in a slideshow format under your story tab. There is no limitation, you can share as much as you want throughout the day with as much creativity as you want. Instagram Stories bring your story to life in new ways with text and drawing tools. The photos and videos will disappear after 24 hours and won’t appear on your profile grid or in feed.
You’ll see stories from people you follow in a bar at the top of your feed, from your best friends to your favorite popular accounts. When there’s something new to see, their profile photo will have a colorful ring around it. You can also save your individual Story slides before or after posting them. Your followers voluntarily tap in to pull your Story and view it, instead of it being pushed into a single feed. People can now swipe up to reply to your Stories, which are delivered through Instagram Direct private messages. You can also see who’s viewed your Story.
How To Use Instagram Stories
How To share a photo or video to Instagram Story?
To share a photo or video to your story just follow the below steps;
1. Tap the Add icon in the top left of the screen or swipe left from anywhere in Feed.
2. Tap the camera icon at the bottom of your screen to take a photo, or tap and hold to record a video.
3. To upload a recent photo or video from your phone or camera roll, just swipe down on the screen and select the photo or video that you’d like to share.
4. To add text or draw on your story, you can tap Aa or pencil icon. Tap Undo to remove an effect or Done to save it.
5. You can tap Cancel to discard your photo or video, or tap download icon to save it to your phone. When you’re done, tap tick icon to share to your story.
How to Find Your Instagram Story
Whenever you post a photo or video to your story, it will appears in two places:
On your profile: A colorful ring will appear around your profile picture, your friend can tap it to see your story. Photos and videos from your story will not appear on your profile grid.
In Feed: Your profile picture will appear in a row at the top of your followers’ Feeds, and they can tap on it to see your story.
How To Know Who Seen Your Story?
If you want to know, who has seen your Story, just open your story and swipe up on the screen. You’ll see the number as well as the names of the people or friends who have seen each other photo or video in your story. Only you are able to look at who’s seen your story.
How To Delete a photo or video from my story?
If you want to delete a photo or video from your story, just follow the below steps;
1. Open your story
2. Tap the three dots icon in the bottom right corer of the photo or video you’d like to delete.
3. Tap Delete then tap to confirm. Done!
How To share a photo or video from story to Feed?
To share a photo or video from your story as a post in Feed, follow the steps below;
1. Open your story
2. Tap the three dots icon in the bottom right of the photo or video you’d like to share
3. Tap Share as Post
4. If you want to some fun, choose to add effects or filters, a caption and your location, then tap Share
Please note that, Photos and videos you share from your story to Feed appear on your profile grid and have the same visibility as other posts you share.
Viewing Instagram Stories
How To see Someone’s Story?
Stories from people or friends you follow will appear in a row at the top of your Feed section. If someone has shared a story you haven’t seen yet, you will see a colorful ring around their profile picture. To see someone’s story, just tap their profile picture at the top of Feed or on their profile.
When you view stories, they will automatically scroll from one person’s to the next. If you want to skip to the next story, you can just tap the screen to skip to the next photo or video, or swipe right or left to skip between people’s stories. Swipe down on the screen or tap x in the top right to exit someone’s story and return to Feed.
Please note that when you see someone’s story, they will be able to tell that you’ve seen it.
How To reply to someone’s story with a message?
When you view your friend’s story, you can reply to it by sending them a message:
1. Open the story you’d like to reply to.
2. Tap Send Message in the bottom left of the screen.
3. Type your message and then tap Send
4. Your message will include the photo or video you replied to. After 24 hours, all photos and videos from a person’s story will no longer be visible in conversations.
Instagram Stories Privacy Settings
The visibility of your story depends on your account’s privacy setting:
For private accounts: Only your approved followers or friends can see your story in a row at the top of Feed and from your profile.
For public accounts: Your followers can see your story in a row at the top of Feed and anyone can see it from your profile.
How To choose people to hide my story from?
If you don’t want someone to see your story, you can hide your story from them and prevent them from seeing anything you post to your story in the future. To hide your story from someone follow the steps-by-steps instructions below;
1. Go to your profile by tapping icon which looks like a person.
2. Tap Settings icon (iOS) or three vertical dots (Android) in the top right of the screen.
3. Tap Story Settings below Account.
4. Tap Hide My Story From.
5. Select the people or person you’d like to hide your story from, then tap Done.
6. To unhide your story from someone, tap the tick icon in green to unselect them.
That’s it on How To Use Instagram Stories.